As I scan over my list of favorites I realize that there is a common thread that weaves it's way through each; unconventional relationships that work really well. There's a line in Martian Child that goes like this: "Why can't you just be what we all want you to be?" I love that line because it makes me think outside of the context of the film to the real world. Why do we do this to people? Why should we want to change who God created them to be? I believe we all have a tendency at times to look with a quizzical eye at relationships that for some reason or another seem out of the range of normal to us. What we fail to do is look further beyond what on the surface perplexes us to the underlying reason of why the relationship works. There are some film makers who are extremely adept at revealing the reason to their audience before the characters discover it themselves. It's not that the characters have some big revelation or undergo a major personality change, it's that they are coupled with someone who allows them to be exactly who they are supposed to be without rejection or expectations. To watch it on the screen is a delight. To see it unfold in real life....a gift.
Yes, I know, the url name doesn't really match the blog name. We are what I like to call a "nomadic' family. We have moved more than most. We are currently in our sixth state. For some reason we find ourselves drawn to homes that need a bit of rehab. Most of our postings as of late are focused around our most current house, and some random ramblings.
Friday, June 06, 2008
Who we are supposed to be..
I am a sucker for sappy movies. I love to curl up on the couch with a cup of tea and a box of Kleenex and let the waterworks flow. Without exception the movie that wins the award for most tissues consumed by me is "I am Sam", followed closely by, "Martian Child", vying for 3rd would have to be "The Champ" and " Monsters Inc." (Yes, you read that correctly Monster's Inc makes me cry)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
How insightful, Deanna. It can be so hard to allow another to be who they are, but it's great when that gift is given. Hm, I need to pull out Monsters, Inc. now...
Thanks Deanna.
Post a Comment