Friday, April 18, 2008

P.T. = Physical Therapy????

Or does it stand for Physical "Torture"?  My orthopedic surgeon has dubbed me..."Woman with 'frozen shoulder'."  I have very limited mobility in my left shoulder.  While there may be a small tear it is really insignificant at this time, at least until we can restore mobility to the shoulder.  
So, just how does one go about restoring mobility?  Through P.T. of course.  Picture archaic torture chambers with prisoners strung out on wooden planks being stretched in two.
Okay...it's not that bad.  The Physical Therapist was actually very kind and understanding of my pain.  She still made me do the stretches, but she was sympathetic.  She demonstrated each stretch and then observed my technique as I attempted each awkward position. (Which really weren't awkward at all for someone with full use of their shoulder) I left the office with a printout of my homework; exercises to be done at least 3 times a day, as well as 5 follow-up sessions and a prescription for chocolate chip cookies whenever I feel pain- yes, I made that up.  
And so, my road to recovery has begun.    

1 comment:

deanna said...

I had a frozen shoulder a few years ago (I may have told you). The torture actually worked, so hang in there!

Google