When I wasn't driving Katie to rehearsals I was assisting Mark at the plant with the task of remodeling our lobby area. We really didn't think it would be too big of a job. After all he and I have remodeled 6 houses, how hard could one lobby be? HA! How hard indeed! There were two things we needed to accomplish; remove the old carpeting, and paint the walls. A three hour job we thought, no problem we quipped, we'll be home in time to enjoy the sunshine before heading to Katie's performance. Again HA! As we began pulling up the carpet the first few pieces came up smoothly, all was going according to plan, then a little more muscle was needed to pull up the carpet, soon it was not budging no matter how hard we pulled or pleaded for that matter. The old glue was playing a game of tug-o-war with us and we were losing! Hours and I mean many hours (actually it took two days) later Mark had succeeded in getting the last piece of carpet to surrender. The glue however was not about to give up without a fight. Off to Jerry's to peruse the aisles for the most potent of glue killers. (Okay, we know, Thou Shalt not murder..but you had to be there) Armed with enough chemical warfare to wipe out an entire downtown highrise, or at least it's carpet glue, we set to work. Carefully donning our safety glasses and protective gloves. (I have to throw that in, just in case my Mom reads this) My job was to brush on the chemicals, Mark's was to scrape it off, and Daniel's was to scoop it into a large dust pan and carefully dispose of it in the trash receptacle. (It was actually a cardboard box, but that's really not important) Soon we had perfected our process and it became somewhat of a dance. We had Mark's computer on and used his ITunes library to entertain us while we worked. We rocked out to Queen, yodeled with Buck Owens, and praised with Mercy Me. We finally made it home this even at 10:00 p.m. Next weekend the real work begins, painting the lobby floor, installing the receptionist desk which I refinished a few weeks ago, and the final decorating touches. And then I think I'm going to need a vacation!
Yes, I know, the url name doesn't really match the blog name. We are what I like to call a "nomadic' family. We have moved more than most. We are currently in our sixth state. For some reason we find ourselves drawn to homes that need a bit of rehab. Most of our postings as of late are focused around our most current house, and some random ramblings.
Sunday, May 18, 2008
I'm Tired!
Here I sit, 10:18 in the evening, pretty much exhausted from an over-committed weekend. The AHHA performance was this past Friday and Saturday nights, which pretty much meant that I spent Friday and Saturday during the day being a chauffeur. The show was fabulous and Katie played her role magnificently .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow, you had quite the weekend. Bravo for knowing such things as how to remodel. We've painted our bathroom; that's about it. I hope you're somewhat rested.
Katie did do a fantastic job in her role. I'm excited about the encore!
Post a Comment