Monday, May 12, 2008

A trip down memory lane...and Mothers

We spent the afternoon yesterday watching family videos. All 4 of us curled up on the couch. Correction: all 5 of us, the dog joined in as well.

My kids rolled their eyes as I teared up at their baby pictures. There was a video of Katie with Mark's Mom, Kathryne (Katie's namesake) where they were at home waiting for the word from the hospital to find out if Katie had a new baby sister of brother.

I am so thankful for those films. Those moments where I am able to get a glimpse into my child, minus Mom and Dad's presence. Katie adored her grandmother. The two were mostly inseparable when Katie was a toddler. Grandma left us far too soon. We knew Grandma would most likely not see Katie grow up, we knew the day I delivered her. I delivered Katie by C-section and was not with Mark when he brought Katie out to show the waiting family. I wish I could have seen Mom's face when Mark told her our baby's name. It meant so much to us, she meant so much to us, we wanted her to know that she would always be remembered every time we looked at our daughter.

Then there are the videos with my own Mom. My child on her hip, just as natural as could be. Mom was born to be...well..a Mom. She began motherhood so early, just 18. She went on to have 6 other children in the following 9 years. 7 children, no maids, no live-in Nanny. She was and IS remarkable. At 68, Mom is still mothering. She and my Dad have been raising my nephew almost since birth. He is now 16. My mother taught my daughter to love yard sales, showed her how to find bargains and always shows up with some little something for my kids (and sometimes even for Mark and I) everytime she is here. The videos showed our children playing with Nana's latest 'find', their faces glowing and Mom's sheepish grin as she proclaimed, "I got it for 50 cents".

More videos and we are introduced to Grandma Donna. Mark's Dad's wife. Grandma Donna held nothing back. She accepted her new position as "Grandma" with such grace. She doted on Katie and cuddled with Daniel. She spoiled as all grandmother's do. At first, it was hard for Mark and I. Our sadness over the loss of Kathryne was profound. Donna never pushed and we were grateful. She loved Mark's Dad, that was clear and she was prepared to love his kids and grandkids as well. What we have found in this new "Mom" in our life we are so thankful for. I value her friendship, her laughter, her graciousness and our "secret looks".

God has blessed us with amazing mothers..I hope someday my children will say the same.

No comments:

Google