Sunday, July 13, 2008

Friendship...

I started off writing this entry with the mindset of sharing how hard it is to have friends leave and the feelings of unfairness that their exits evokes. Somewhere in the middle though, I found myself starting over as my thoughts trailed down a different path.
A unique situation has presented itself recently. It appears that both my daughter and I will have friends going off to new adventures this year. Katie has friends who have graduated from high school and will be starting the next phase of their lives in various cities at different colleges. I have a close friend whose husband has accepted a job out of the area and will be moving very soon as well. 
In my life I have moved many times, I have said goodbye to cherished friends knowing that I probably will not see them again this side of Heaven. I should think it would get easier with each goodbye, but it doesn't. I have also experienced the unpleasant ache in the pit of my stomach when a friend has been taken away either by death or life's circumstances. Often my selfishness will question why at this particular time God would want to take this person out of my life, as if this person's moving or death was somehow about me. This is where my original post took a turn as I thought to myself, "Wow, what arrogance!" To suppose that somehow God's plan for my friend's life somehow revolved around me and my own desires. Sure, I will be affected and I will have sorrow, but it's NOT ABOUT ME.That's not to say that God doesn't care that I will be feeling hurt. Because He does. I do know however, in these times of drought are the times that God draws me closer to Himself.
I believe that God is intending to draw me closer once again only this time I shall have the company of my daughter. For the better part of Katie's life she has been on the other side of the equation. She has usually been the friend who has moved away. Because her moves have taken her to new places where she has met and made new friends, the effects of saying goodbye have not had to be felt quite as strong as being on the 'left behind' end of departures. She is venturing into unchartered territory this fall. While I, on the other hand, have experienced both sides of the spectrum.
Interestingly, I can foresee the chance to turn what will be a difficult time in both Katie and my lives into an opportunity for she and I to shoulder one another's sorrows. It is also an opportunity for the both of us to encourage our friends and be happy when they head off in response to God's direction or will. Our response should be to pray for our friends and for the paths that God is leading them down. To be thankful for the time, no matter how short, that we had to enjoy each other's company. To offer our assistance with whatever they might need to prepare for their move. To be servants.

No comments:

Google