When you have a yard sale. This past weekend I held a yard sale. I had spent weeks piling stuff in the corner of my garage to the point where my van and then finally Katie's car had to sleep outside. Finally a free weekend opened up and I was able to at last try to free myself of the excess debris. I was quite certain that while to me most of what I had to sell really was of little use, to someone else it would be just what they were looking for.
I advertised my sale in the paper and made sure to note the start time 8 a.m. At 7:45 I glanced out the front window and noticed that cars were already starting to line up. "Wow! I must have great stuff." I thought. I moved our cars out of the driveway at 7:50 and at precisely 8 a.m. I opened the garage door to the waiting throngs. Most didn't even wait for the door to raise all the way up. Then like a midwestern dust devil they whirled through the sale. One stopped directly in front of me, pulled out a note pad then quickly went down her list. "Do you have a garden hose, curtains, dustbuster, pillows." She never even stopped to take a breath. I didn't have anything from her list so off she went. I believe I detected a bit of disgust as she walked down our drive.
I started noticing some patterns in the people who visited my yard sale. I have come to the conclusion that this genus, the "Yard-saler", actually has some pretty diverse species. Beginning with the "List carrier", the one who is completely organized and has perfected her system. She will pour over the papers for the garage sale listings, then she will map out her course, make her list (never to be deviated from), and have everything waiting in the car the night before to get the earliest start. She will most likely be the first person to cross your threshold. She is not to be ignored.
The next can be as equally demanding. This is the antique dealer or the reseller. They are looking for a find. They are assuming you will sell Aunt Bessie's prize quilt for next to nothing. They will act as if what you have is of no real value and will tell you they would be doing you a favor by taking it off of your hands. Just a little editorial on my part, if someone shows up at your yard sale almost before it opens, singles out an item then tells you they would be doing you a favor by buying it; kindly pick up the item, apologize for the confusion, "One of my kids must have brought this out accidentally", then get thee to an appraiser!
You will most certainly receive a visit from the interior decorator. This is the young woman or man who is looking to update their apartment. They have a creative eye and can turn that old beat up dresser into a work of art. These you really must appreciate for they are artistic yet frugal.
We mustn't forget the family of 12 who will rifle through every item of clothing on your tables as if they were in Filene's basement. Leaving a wake of destruction in their paths and finally settling on 3 shirts for 75รง.
But perhaps my favorite of them all is the "life story" yard-saler. When I say they are my favorites, I mean that with all sincerity. These are the folks that really don't have need for anything, but they have nothing better to do with their Friday or Saturday mornings. They will drive aimlessly around their local neighborhoods in search of an open garage with a sign out front that basically invites them to stop by. I have found that usually they are retired. They have raised their families and now look forward to the occasional call or visit from the grandkids. They will linger over the tables picking things up and putting them down all the while telling stories of their kids' first books or toys or favorite clothing item. They will share stories of their years in the military or their first jobs picking berries. They will talk as long as you will give them an ear to listen. Sometimes you'll hear of those they have lost and will see the glisten of a tears in their eyes. Eventually the tables of stuff fade away and you are for the moment walking the streets of their memories and seeing it all unfold. They are great story tellers for they are telling their own stories. There is no need for embellishment. Yes, these are my favorite for they remind me of what is important in life. It is not the knick knacks that end up scattered on yard sale tables. It is the time we spend with others. Sometimes doing nothing more than just listening.
1 comment:
I like how you start with this appearing to go one place and end up in another. The dear people to whom you listened. Sigh.
My hubby is his own sort of sale-er, I think. He has his list in the form of generalities, from video tapes to car care items. And then he'll manage to spot something brand new (or nearly) to give to someone next Christmas. And he'll remember where he hides it at home and give it to them! He amazes me.
Post a Comment