Friday, May 30, 2008

Reflective mood

I was thinking this morning about selfishness, and how we get caught up in living our lives often times oblivious to those around us who are in need.  I know I am guilty of this.  I was reminded this morning of something though, something I will share with you all.  A reason for me to reflect upon how I almost wasn't which in turn would have meant my kids almost weren't..and so forth.
This will require a little work on your part though.  Open this link 
http://www.carnegiehero.org/search.php  then under first name type in Rene.  Under last name type in Charest.  Click submit.  On the next page click the Rene R.  Go ahead..I'll wait...the post won't have the same meaning unless you do. 
Rene (pronounced ree nee) Charest, my dad, at the age of 23 and already with 4 children at home (I was not one of them), set an example for me of unselfishness, before I was even born.  It was quite possible that my dad could have died that day and thus this blog would not even exist as I would not exist.  I'm not sure I have ever really contemplated that or have been grateful to God for protecting my Dad as he gave of himself.  
These thoughts have stirred up in me how I often times become so over-protective of me, my family and my life that I turn a blind eye or a deaf ear to those around who may be drowning. Often rationalizing that someone else will save them.  My Dad, when he recalled the story to a reporter those many years ago, said he didn't think, he just reacted.  I pray God would enable me to develop this trait.
Hmm..I should clarify this.  I definitely have the predisposition to react without thinking, but not in a positive, for others way. So my prayer would be that God would teach me to 'think before I act' when it comes to acts of selfishness..and 'act before I think' when it comes to acts of selflessness.

1 comment:

deanna said...

How cool - your family has some great stories. I appreciate your reminder about thinking before selfish acts and not thinking before selfless ones. Your dad's action must have affected the family of the man he rescued in many ways, too.

Google