Monday, July 07, 2008

Hmm..thought I'd share this.. written June 28th.

Today we departed for our trip to California. I know up to now I haven't shared our vacation plans. This was not an oversight on my part, but an intentional omission. Partly due to wanting to surprise my sister-in-law, who turned 50 last week, and partly because, well frankly there were other stories to tell. Although you will be reading this after we have arrived at our destination, I'm actually writing it in the car, somewhere on I-5 just south of Shasta Lake.
What caused me to put pencil to paper and risk the possibility of car sickness( as I have never quite handled reading and writing while traveling) was the correlation between the long car ride...and life. Many people lament the long car ride. The hours of monotony, the fuzzy radio stations, the pins and needles in their feet as they awake after falling asleep in awkward positions. The disdain for the car ride can be so great however, that even the promise of an amazing destination is not enough to entice them to take the plunge.
What I have learned in my life is that the long car ride has been necessary to allow me to experience joys this side of Heaven that God has given me. I will admit, the long drive is often times boring and physically tiring and sometimes filled with challenges. It would of course be grand if we could just wake up and be where we want to be, but I wonder if that would somehow minimize the joy of the destination. If my life were void of "long car rides" and everything came easily or instantaneously would I still long for the destination of Heaven? Maybe, but would I truly appreciate all that God's promises have for me?
For now, I am content to ride in the car alongside my husband allowing the excitement for what's to come to build, knowing that every mile and minute that passes brings me that much closer to an eternity with my Saviour.

1 comment:

deanna said...

Hmm, I like your musings. Thoughts along these lines that I jotted down years ago helped me piece together articles for Christian magazines. You should look into some of them. :o)

Google